For a cause-and-effect essay, one cause of a phenomenon is taken, and all the consequences to which it resulted are considered. For example, you consider the old equipment of a plant located in the area to be the cause of environmental pollution in a particular area. In this case, you should consider all the possible consequences of the operation of this equipment: its impact on the health of workers at the plant and the people living nearby, on flora and fauna, on manufactured products, etc. Another possibility, when the author of the essay considers a variety of reasons that led to the same effect.
Some signs of cause & effect essay
Some features of the essay include:
– the availability of a specific topic or question. The work devoted to the analysis of a wide range of problems, cannot be performed in the genre of the essay.
– the essay expresses individual impressions and considerations on a specific occasion or issue and obviously does not pretend to define or exhaustively interpret the subject.
– as a rule, the essay assumes new, subjective thoughts about something, such a work can have a philosophical, historical-biographical, journalistic, literary-critical, popular-scientific or purely fictional character.
– in the content of the essay, the personality of the author, his worldview, thoughts and feelings, are evaluated first of all.
The purpose of the essay is to develop skills such as independent creative thinking and writing out your own thoughts.
Writing an essay is extremely useful, because it allows the author to learn clearly and correctly formulate thoughts, structure information, use the basic concepts, identify causal relationships, illustrate the experience with relevant examples, and argue their conclusions.
Structure and plan of the essay
The structure of the essay is determined by the requirements imposed on it:
– the thoughts of the author of the essay on the problem are presented in the form of brief theses.
– the idea must be supported by evidence – therefore a thesis is followed by arguments.
Arguments are facts, phenomena of social life, events, life situations and life experience, scientific evidence, references to the opinions of scientists, etc. It is better to give two arguments in favor of each thesis: one argument seems unconvincing, three arguments can “overload” the presentation performed in the genre, that focuses on brevity.
Thus, the essay acquires a ring structure (the number of theses and arguments depends on the topic, the chosen plan, the logic of the development of thought):
– thesis, arguments
– thesis, arguments
– thesis, arguments
When writing an essay, it is also important to consider the following points:
The introduction and conclusion should focus on the problem (it is mentioned in introduction, in conclusion – the opinion of the author is summarized).
It is necessary to make paragraphs and to establish a logical connection between paragraphs: thus the integrity of the work would be achieved.
The type of essay for this category is analytical.
Signs of cause & effect essay
We can distinguish some common features of the genre, which are usually listed in encyclopedias and dictionaries:
1. Small volume.
2. A specific topic and its subjective interpretation is emphasized.
The theme of the essay is always concrete. An essay cannot contain many topics or ideas (thoughts). It reflects only one option, one thought and develops it. This is the answer to one question.
3. Free composition is an important feature of the essay.
4. Ease of narration. The author of the essay is important to establish a confidential style of communication with the reader; to be understood, he avoids deliberately complicated, unclear, unnecessarily strict constructions. Researchers note that only someone who is fluent in the subject, sees it from various angles and is ready to present the reader a multifaceted view of the phenomenon that has become the starting point of his reflections can write a good essay.
5. Propensity to paradoxes. The essay is designed to surprise the reader (listener) – this, in the opinion of many researchers, is its compulsory quality. The starting point for the reflections embodied in the essay is often an aphoristic, vivid statement or a paradoxical definition that literally confronts seemingly incontrovertible but mutually exclusive statements, characteristics, theses.
6. Internal semantic unity. Perhaps this is one of the paradoxes of the genre. Free in composition, focused on subjectivity, the essay also has an internal semantic unity, i.e. the consistency of key theses and statements, the internal harmony of arguments and associations, the consistency of those judgments in which the personal position of the author is expressed.
The essay is offered as an assignment not only in schools. In some universities in the humanities faculty with the help of essays are passed the entrance exams. In addition, writing essays is a requirement of many international educational programs. In the content of the essay, the personality of the author, his worldview, thoughts and feelings, is evaluated.
Having received the task to create an essay on a certain topic, many pupils are thinking about how to write a good essay. To do this, it is to understand in detail what an essay is, to get acquainted with the works of famous authors.
First of all, study in detail what an essay is and for what purposes it is written. Determine what is the purpose of your work.
Essays come in a variety of forms, depending on their content, techniques used, or goals. Study different types of essays based on the work of other authors and find out what type of essay you want to write. You might want to describe in your work a new device or analyze the problem that interests you.
Be sure to study the criteria by which the teacher will evaluate your work. The teacher himself can voice such criteria or offer you a manual with a detailed description.
If essay writer do not want to do the job for a very long time, do not try to write essays in a strictly logical sequence. That is, you do not need to first create a title page, then at any cost to write an introduction and so on, because even writing an introduction from scratch is not so easy. Your work will be much more effective if you start with sketches of fragments of the main part that cause you the greatest emotions. Perhaps you want to describe some kind of injustice or a vivid image of the artist who inspired you. Gradually, you will have an idea of how to connect individual fragments of work into a logical chain.
It will also be very useful to sketch out the main theses of the work. This will help you not to lose the thought and write an essay on the same wave, without slowing down the pace. It’s okay if your first lines do not sound like you want. In the process of work you will sign and express your thoughts more harmoniously and beautifully.